The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-doesnt-make-sense-to-me-to-intentionally-keep-29915663.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth investing/withdrawing at 60 Date:  3/16/2012  4:03 PM
Author:  0x6a74 Number:  70380 of 76079

It doesn't make sense to me to intentionally keep your income low in order to keep your SS from being taxed. And I'm aware of how little income you need if your only significant expenses are food, property tax, gas, and utilities.

mostly agree, but it depends on the effort --

OP is talking about saving into a Roth rather than Taxable (or trad.IRA?) to save on taxes --close to zero effort

i was talking about converting *some* t.IRA to Roth to minimize RMDs (emphasis on the 'R' -- if you end up taking distributions to pay expenses, no gain) --some effort, maybe not worth it

[
In comparison, my average electric bill (including electric heat) is $280/mo. Also in comparison, our average water/sewer/garbage bill is $160 every 2 months.

just curious --where do you live? those bills are close to double mine and i live in SF BAy area that's supposedly super expensive
]

And you know what? With a 75K-95K income, you don't HAVE to live frugally. You can, if you so choose,

doesn't take much frugal to live on 35K .. but since i don't choose to take a cruise, not doing it doesn't seem 'frugal'
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us