The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Engineers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/after-you-started-your-new-job-would-you-quit-29916005.aspx

Subject:  Re: Need Advice - Engineering Job(s) Date:  3/16/2012  6:11 PM
Author:  HaltCatchFire Number:  1576 of 1626

After you started your new job, would you quit the old job (where you do nothing) or would you hold on to it until you were simply phased out (let go)? My family certainly could use the dual-income money to pay off debt, but I also think that my new employer wouldn't like the 'idea' of me being an employee of someone else, even though I 'do nothing'! I think I would have keep that secret from them, although I wonder if there is a way they could find out by doing a check of some sort.

There is no way I would pull a stunt like this.

First, review the terms of employment with the old employer. This agreement almost certainly excludes working for another employer. Double dipping leaves you exposed to a claw-back on salary paid while "working" two jobs.

Second, you almost certainly have an intellectual property agreement with the old employer. And you will almost certainly have one with the new employer. So if you invent something, who does it belong to? And are the employers going to sue each other over this? I guarantee you would be fired immediately if this happened.

Third, and this is just me, I would fire you if worked for me and were doing this. I just couldn't trust you going forward. My team has access to very sensitive design information. If I can't trust you, you can't do your job, so you're out of here.

I understand that this seems like money for nothing, and that it's very tempting, but this is an exceedingly bad idea.

Regards,

- HCF
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us