The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Fools Against Depression

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-own-diagnosis-is-primarily-bipolar-disorder-i-29921347.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Do ppl know/noticed you're depressed? Date:  3/19/2012  7:23 PM
Author:  lcd186 Number:  14844 of 15005

My own diagnosis is primarily bipolar disorder. I believe my primary features are depression as well as anxiety. I believe I am considered "mildly" depressed most of the time though it can be a bigger struggle at times. Hard to qualify.

And I haven't worked full time in many years. I was approved for disability benefits two years ago so my daily schedule is a fortunate (or not?) mostly by myself.

A few months ago, I have a roommate. He is here usually only about five days a week, but we have overlapping schedules so I am mostly fairly solitary. When I do interact, I tend to be very animated or pull out a lot of energy.

I tend to not be out and about with people unless I feel stronger or more active so when I am out and about, I usually can pull out a lot of energy and enthusiasm, or at least be able to focus on the particular situations. Examples: I'm great when I can go to the supermarket or the laundromat. Sometimes I help out some friends by babysitting and I can get a lot more enthusiastic. Since getting a dog to watch for "a few months" (possibly permanently, LOL) I have interacted more with neighbors, etc.

I note that having pets (I have this lovely dog and already had three cats) help me somewhat.

But frankly, I think no one really realizes, or notices, that I am depressed. I believe I have hid it well historically. Many people may notice I am moody (I can be the angry type, or cranky), but may not realize it is related to my depression.

LCD
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us