The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Deducting prior year's personal property tax Date:  3/20/2012  2:02 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  115576 of 127753

I had car registration fees due in Dec 2010 that I paid in early Jan 2011 with penalties. Can I deduct the fees without the penalty on my 2011 return? I didn't deduct this on my 2010 return since I didn't pay it in 2010.

Assuming that the car registration fees (or some part of them) are considered personal property taxes in your state, they are deductible in the year paid. In most states, car registration fees are not deductible.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us