The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/an-option-is-taking-a-loan-youd-be-repaying-29936311.aspx

Subject:  Re: Current 401k funds to IRA possible? Date:  3/26/2012  2:39 PM
Author:  HitAnyKey42 Number:  115648 of 121219

An option is taking a loan. You'd be repaying yourself, with interest, and have access to the funds to invest in a taxable account.

It's theoretically and option, but not for me. That's simply because I don't need to do a full investment of an amount right now. Any investing, even with the TMF portfolios would be little bits each month. So if I'm planning on setting aside say $500/mo to contribute to my investments, taking out a loan for a lump sump into an IRA and then having to repay that that amount (plus) interest each month....and probably at the same amount I would be setting aside anyway....well....seems kinda silly. :)

Are you contributing more to your 401(k) that required to maximize employer matching? If so, consider redirecting that excess to either an IRA (Roth if you qualify) or a regular taxable investment account. That would give you cash to invest as you see fit.

Nope, I had already dropped my 401k contribution a few years ago (when I bought my condo) to the 6% necessary to get the 3% match. Though I'm wondering if not doing the full 6% might be an idea. If I can get greater gains in my IRA than the "free" match money would be....then that might make sense. But I'm not sure. I have my 401k at a pretty sizable amount for someone my age (at least I think I do), so shifting contributing some of that to my stock IRA to get greater potential gains could be an option.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us