The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Global Gains / GGT: Stocks That Interest You

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-andy-thank-you-for-that-allot-equipment-is-29950010.aspx

Subject:  Re: Allot Communications (ALLT) Date:  4/1/2012  4:40 PM
Author:  TMFJazzysav Number:  7886 of 7921

Hi Andy,

Thank you for that. Allot equipment is installed in the core network, the part of the network where users are authenticated (given the thumbs up to use services either as a home or roaming customer) and their traffic managed. In old parlance, the core was the switch.

The output of Allot feeds would be used, for the most part, by radio engineers, the guys responsible for ensuring that the cells are dimensioned correctly and that users are getting a good quality of service. Allot would enable radio planners to look at the network by traffic type, e.g. peer-to-peer, video streaming, email, and so on, on a macro or per-cell level.

Furthermore, the marketing guys could get involved and create a product where users who pay a premium get priority mobile broadband speeds; I've overseen such an implementation. The top 10%, for example, are called platinum customers and are assured of a certain quality of service, the middle 80% are your normal Joes, best effort after the platinum folks, and the bottom 10% pay less or even nothing and take a few adverts too -- usually good for college students.

It appears to me that Allot are emerging as the de facto standard for 3G and 4G networks. I substantiate that hunch soon and report back.

Rgds,

Emmet
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us