The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-shouldnt-care-but-it-asks-anyhow-even-if-i-29951910.aspx

Subject:  Re: Inherited Roth IRA distribution Date:  4/2/2012  3:51 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  115797 of 121061

It shouldn't care, but it asks anyhow. Even if I try different answers, it doesn't get to the 8606.

I just did a test return in TaxAct, and it accurately added the 8606 and calculated the taxable portion of the distribution (zero) after I input the total of prior conversions (line 24. I just made up a number larger than line 19). No overrides were required. The distribution amount properly flowed to line 19 of the 8606.

I can't believe TT can't handle this, so it must be an input problem somewhere. Check your 1099-R input screen. Box 1 should be the gross amount of the distribution. The "taxable amount not determined" box in Box 2b should be checked. You have already advised that Box 7 is "T." All other numbered boxes should be blank or zero.

I'm not crazy about your proposed workaround since I suspect it's not a software problem, and you're looking at this situation through TY 2014. If TT tech support can't tell you what's wrong, move up the food chain.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us