The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Global Gains / GGM: Really Basic Questions

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-point-is-that-there-is-no-need-to-perform-that-29982169.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why shpould I renew my subscription to the G Date:  4/17/2012  12:27 PM
Author:  TMFDoraemon Number:  844 of 847

My point is that there is no need to perform that way to justify the sub.

Thanks, Anurag, that's very kind of you to say. I like the sentiment, but I disagree. I think we need to offer interesting ideas, timely coverage of events, long-term thinking and education, and beat our relevant index while doing it.

I doubt GG smashed any relevant index.

We are beating the EFA quite handily. At the time we launched that was the most relevant index in existence and it's still the one most international mutual funds measure themselves against. I suspect we beat the ACWI, too, which is a newer ETF (and a more appropriate comparison, I think, because it is a better mix of developed and emerging markets), but I don't have the proof.

I only have detailed data on my selections. I an tell you my recommendations have beat the EFA (by a mile -- about 15% on average), ACWI (by a bit less), and VWO (by 1% on average). My recommendations trail the S&P 500 by 0.5%, so I'm close but not quite there. (And yes, the S&P has outperformed the EFA by that much.)

Best,

Nathan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us