The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-its-not-so-much-the-divorce-lawyers-dont-29988460.aspx

Subject:  Re: Legal Docs for College Roomates Date:  4/20/2012  2:42 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116092 of 121222

Well, it's not so much the divorce lawyers don't know bupkes, it's the courts won't or can't enforce the divorce decree terms.

Your friend's experience may have been different but the vast majority of divorcees I dealt with over this issue had been told by their divorce lawyers that the IRS would abide by the decree regarding payment of back taxes, which simply isn't true. I also saw a couple cases where property settlements were structured so as to constitute alimony under tax law.

I think it behooves anyone going through a divorce with either back taxes or other than a straightforward property settlement to have a tax pro check the proposed settlement. There's nothing that can be done about joint liability other than innocent spouse, but at least one can act with advice from someone who knows that end of things, which I don't expect from most divorce lawyers.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us