The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in Colorado

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/after-selling-my-third-home-in-april-2010-i-am-now-30007838.aspx

Subject:  Re: Considering a place in the mtns ? Date:  4/29/2012  1:29 PM
Author:  Panther007 Number:  6233 of 6272

After selling my third home in April 2010 I am now in the mindset of "no more home ownership". If I look back at all the money that was spent to put up a nice fence, extend a patio, plant trees, water and fertilize, etc. there is no way owning a home is an "investment" - it is truly a money pit.

My new philosophy is to travel more and rent and stay at limited term places and do more exploring. I think ownership ties you down and drains people financially.

Even though the prices are low, the fees and expenses still make no sense to me.

so far, I've traveled to Hawaii for two weeks this past spring. If I owned a home and had a mortgage, etc. probably would have not been able to swing it.

I have scaled way down. Lovin' this new decision.

My point? Consider saving that money and take more fun vacations. The gas and travel time to the mountains sometimes interfers with the "relaxation bennies"

....my 1 cent for today! :-)

J.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us