The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Reading Financial Statements

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-wanted-to-practice-reading-the-10-q-and-doing-30019279.aspx

Subject:  Re: form 10-q Date:  5/4/2012  10:31 AM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  3881 of 3916

I wanted to practice reading the 10 q and doing all the math to find its value. When I went to go print it out. It was 41 pages long. The company was chevron. Are they all this big or is it larger then normal.
Thanks.

They're all that big (at least)--there is certain information the filings must contain--in addition to the financial statements (balance sheet, income statement aka statement of operations, cash flow statement) there are the accompanying footnotes, an MD&A section (management discussion and analysis), a statement about the financial controls as well as the Sarbanes-Oxley certifications. These are mandatory and must be presented in a certain order as well. So you will find a similar format across all publicly-traded companies.

If you want to spare yourself the printer ink and paper--try contacting IR and asking them to send you a hard copy.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us