The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/venting-about-earned-income-tax-credit-30056094.aspx

Subject:  Venting about Earned Income Tax Credit Date:  5/22/2012  6:51 PM
Author:  stevenjklein Number:  116171 of 121146

Last year, when I filed our 2010 taxes, the EITC got us a "refund" of over $5K on our federal tax bill. (I put refund in quotes, because it wasn't actually a refund. It was a gift, for which I gratefully thank all the US taxpayers.)

For tax year 2011, our AGI was virtually unchanged, but to make ends meet I sold some stocks, earning about $4K in profit.

The result (as you tax pros already know) is that we didn't qualify for the EITC, and instead had to pay taxes.

What I learned was this: If a taxpayer's investment income exceeded $3150 in 2011, that taxpayer can't claim the EITC.

Unfortunately, by the time I learned this, I'd already made the same mistake this year.

Drats!

(I suppose I might not have made this mistake if I'd consulted a qualified tax professional before making my stock sales. But then, if I could afford to pay a qualified tax professional, I'd probably wouldn't be poor enough to qualify for the EITC anyway!)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us