The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-cannot-think-of-any-bigger-waste-of-money-than-30069437.aspx

Subject:  Re: Waking Up to Major Colonoscopy Bills Date:  5/30/2012  3:02 PM
Author:  joelxwil Number:  70720 of 75530

I cannot think of any bigger waste of money than hiring an anesthesiologist to put you under for this. Mild sedation gets rid of virtually all of the pain. In my case, the normal dose of sedation also gives me after-effects (like a lack of coordination) that last into the next day. This is not good - I do not like running into walls. So last time I had the doctor give me less than the usual amount of sedation. There was a little bit of pain, but nothing worth mentioning, and I felt normal by the afternoon.

The only part where there is any bit of pain is where the scope goes from the transverse colon around down to the appendix. Turning that corner hurts a bit. If they snip off a polyp (which I got to watch once), there is no pain.

I really think that many people want to be put under anesthesia because they are freaked out about the idea of having a scope pushed up their intestines. So the anesthesia is more for psychological reasons than anything else.

Also, it is not just for a colonoscopy that there may be an anesthesiologist who bills separately. I have run into that for other procedures at the emergency room as well, although the details have escaped me.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us