The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Amending separate to joint Date:  6/6/2012  11:55 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116231 of 127753

One seemingly simple question that I just cannot find an answer to: What amounts do you put in column A?

The numbers from the first-listed spouse's return, as preiously adjusted if applicable. The spouse's numbers and any other adjustments go in B.

I assume you use software to do this. The most important thing is to start by reading your software's instructions several times. The IRS revamped the form a couple of years ago, and the whole approach in software changed with it. I'm finally getting the hang of amended returns in general, but it's been a struggle.

You might also want to take a look at the IRS form and instructions, both of which have been recently revised.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us