The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/youve-been-getting-varied-but-good-advice-from-30084621.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement & the HealthCare Question Date:  6/7/2012  11:28 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  70753 of 78166

You've been getting varied but good advice from several people. We're both past 70, so what I say may be of little help, but here's our experience:

We both left the working force around age 59. She was a teacher who had to care for an ailing mother (with me) and I was a middle manager who was laid off unexpectedly. I did consulting for 2 years, and kept COBRA for 18 months, as suggested, but it was VERY costly. We had NO carryover health insurance.

Around 60, I shifted to Blue Cross for both of us. It was $325/month , with a $3,000 deductible, as I recall. (Remember, this was 10 years ago!) Within 3 years, the rate doubled to over $650/month for two of us, and the deductible went up, too! We hung in there until I reached 65 and Medicare; she hit that 6 months later.

Thankfully, Medicare now costs us just $96/month EACH, and we use AARP Medigap to cover most deductibles; the AARP plan is $330/month for both of us combined. So our monthly costs are just over $500. There is no free lunch, but we're awfully grateful for Medicare and the Medigap plan.

By the wa