The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/documenting-medical-expenses-30104370.aspx

Subject:  Documenting Medical Expenses Date:  6/19/2012  10:58 AM
Author:  toberead Number:  116292 of 121150

I recently found out that I'm going to have some significant medical expenses this year. I have insurance but between the amounts that insurance doesn't cover, the insurance cost and my out of pocket expenses, I may qualify for the medical deduction. I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see if I can get over the 7.5% threshold.

My question is how to document my expenses to make sure everything is covered. I've read through Publication 502 and I think I know what's covered, but I'm not sure about documenting everything. (My taxes are very simple and so I'm not that familiar with all the rules.) I have copies of all my bills but I'm more concerned about documenting things like transportation costs, mileage, etc. Is an Excel spreadsheet OK for documenting these expenses? I assume I need a receipt every time I need to take a taxi, if I'm not able to drive myself? What about parking fees? The medical center does not give receipts for parking fees (I've asked). These are small amounts ($3 for parking, maybe $10 for taxi fares) but they do add up.

This is a more obscure question, but if I buy a software program to track my diabetes testing results, would that be deductible? I didn't see that in 502.

Thanks,
Karen
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us