The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Global Crossing Settlement tax treatment Date:  6/22/2012  1:44 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  116321 of 127637

It's a return of capital. If you still owned the stock (not possible in this case), you would adjust your cost basis. If you no longer own the stock (generically speaking), you report the recovery as a capital gain, long or short-term based on your holding period for the shares which generated this recovery.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us