The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/always-easy-to-say-just-cut-spending-or-throw-30126257.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question about windfall for bus monitor Date:  7/1/2012  7:43 AM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  116374 of 121061

Always easy to say just cut spending or throw them off medicaid until you know them personally.

That is for sure. I know someone who is an orphan (mother murdered when she was 10, father died of cancer soon after, raised by schizophrenic grandmother who abused her for a while, etc.). She is now 21 and pretty much homeless. Psychologically extremely messed up. I am not a relative and am not legally required to contribute to her support. I contribute some, however, to the limit of my ability. Situation actually more complicated than this. I wish I could take her off my taxes, but I cannot. I contribute nowhere near half of what her expenses are. She has great difficulty getting a job and in keeping one because of her mental problems. And such jobs as she has pay too little to live on anyway.

It is easy to say such a person should get off Medicaid, get a job, etc. But some people cannot do this. It is heart breaking to know someone in a situation like this.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us