The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Linux User's Group

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/today-yep-no-sound-when-i-get-home-tonight-30136529.aspx

Subject:  Re: New user Date:  7/7/2012  8:10 PM
Author:  Patzer Number:  6576 of 6623

Today? Yep. No sound. When I get home tonight, I'll take one more look at it. At least the fiddling should be at a minimum, as I just need to check that all of the various settings are where I left them.

That is odd. A couple weeks ago, I created a dual boot machine with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as the Linux side. I went along playing with this, that and the other for a while; a few days ago I noticed I had *no sound*.

I have no local support group, so it was off to Dr. Google to figure it out. This can be a puzzle to parse, as some of the stuff the good doctor pulls out of his files applies to old versions of the software and not what I have. Tried this, that and the other from solutions others had found. Still no sound.

Eventually I got around to looking at the sound settings through the Unity graphical interface. Output line was muted. Uncheck the mute button, and I had sound. The sound has stayed around through several reboots made for other reasons.

I would suspect that Ubuntu is shipping by default with the sound muted, which is kind of nice some of the time; but I have no idea why my system should stay fixed while yours goes back to muted when you don't intend it to.

Patzer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us