The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / 3D Printing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-understand-computerized-text-to-speech-is-making-30151322.aspx

Subject:  Re: applications of 3D Date:  7/16/2012  1:47 PM
Author:  RHinCT Number:  34 of 315

I understand computerized text-to-speech is making the most promising advances for the blind. It seems like overkill to use a generalized tool for such a specific purpose as printing Braille, but once prices come down it might be the simplest and cheapest way to implement it.

Converting images into something three-dimensional for a coffee mug sounds like base-relief, a rather specialized reduction of the 3-D original to something only slightly more than 2-D. (Think of the sort of cameo that might appear on Antiques Road Show). While this might be a productive use of the technology, I don't see how photoshop would have much to do with it; a flat image doesn't have the information needed to render 3-D.

Shared 3-D printing may well turn out to be a profitable service, where the investment in the diverse technologies involved can be shared over a wide user base. Such a business might well prosper as a franchise once it was sufficiently established. I suspect that would have to follow a period where independent operators establish the underlying business through experience.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us