The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-paul-said-you-seem-to-identified-the-issues-30153025.aspx

Subject:  Re: Smart idea or Not? Date:  7/17/2012  11:45 AM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  70847 of 76384

As Paul said, you seem to identified the issues. To which I would add these thoughts -

All real-estate markets are local. Even within Palm Springs I am certain some areas will appreciate more, some have had more price depression, etc. I happens the county I live is in Q1 of 2012 had an average house sale price less than 50% of the Q1 2007 price. Our specific neighborhood is is down between 10% and 15% form Q1 2007.

At some point in the next 8 years, I fully expect inflation to happen - when that does, interest rates will rise - affects mortgage rates. Depending on how fast interest rates rise and the amount of inflations equity prices may or may not increase.

Personally I would view the issue this way -- is investing in Palm Springs real-estate a good idea or not - i.e. forget your retirement plans. And don't forget second homes and rentals today generally have higher down-payments and interest rates.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us