The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Mastering Quicken

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-going-to-be-helping-a-friend-install--30153788.aspx

Subject:  Re: Upgrading to new version of Quicken Date:  7/17/2012  4:42 PM
Author:  Patzer Number:  9989 of 10365

I'm going to be helping a friend install / upgrade Quicken on a new computer. The old computer is running Quicken 2000 on Windows XP. The new computer will be using Quicken Deluxe 2012 running on Windows 7 64 bit. My friend wants to transfer / import all of his old data to the new setup.

I've never made that big a jump. I did upgrade from Q99 to Q2004 when I got a new computer. (IIRC, that was a move from Win98 to WinXP.) I installed Q2004 on the new computer, restored backup files, and spent a couple hours running between the computers and figuring out what odd, years-old transactions were different because the numbers didn't match. I don't remember the details, but it was some stuff that I had entered clumsily before Q99 that Q2004 misinterpreted the sign on.

I have no idea whether it's necessary to go to 2004 before 2012, as I'm at 2006 now. I think it's a Very Good Idea to keep Q2000 running on the old computer until you can verify that the data on the newer version on the new computer matches. If there are a lot of years of data, you might find something that needs to be fixed. Or you might not; your friend might have been smarter about transaction entry than I was.

Patzer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us