The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthere-were-also-some-wonderful-aspects-she-30176971.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mormon church exodus Date:  7/30/2012  5:05 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  44320 of 63131

"There were also some wonderful aspects she described: open-hearted acceptance and love for children with disabilities (one of her children had Downs Syndrome), the support for new businesses from the community, the care and love in times of trouble, and more. Then there were the judgmental, women-unfriendly, religious police aspects also. The core religion is rather strange but I find that true in other religions also." maraith

That pretty much describes the Church I am a part of. And you are right, pretty much all religion(s) are strange if you think about it; all religion is a little weird.... worshipping a god that we aren't even quite sure whether "it" exists or not, strange rituals, doctrines, beliefs, etc.

But there is good stuff too. The social aspects, fellowship, taking care of one another, etc. The Church of Christ came out of the Presbyterian tradition during the restoration movement and a lot of the members are of Scots-Irish descent so they maintain that "Clannish" Scottish way of thinking so the congregation treat one like family (you should see them reach out when someone dies) and they really do take care of one another.

I met my wife at Church in Athens, Georgia and I don't regret it one bit. It has been good for me. I shudder to think where I would have ended up if I hadn't found the Church of Christ, probably living in a Van down by the river.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us