The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Discount Brokers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-fact-i-started-to-write-about-how-i-thought-30177126.aspx

Subject:  Re: Optionshouse? Date:  7/30/2012  6:25 PM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  49997 of 50183

In fact I started to write about how I thought selling cash-covered puts might be safer/better than selling covered calls.
If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.

And CC's or selling CS puts are just not worth doing. A program of picking up pennies in front of a steamroller always looks like a success, right up until the point that the steamroller arrives. You collect a stream of piddling premiums and then get your face bitten off.

But people will never learn. Everybody wants to believe that there's a low-risk free lunch just sitting there for the taking that nobody else has discovered -- despite the myriad books and articles about the technique.

FWIW, I had a long string of success in selling cash-secured S&P500 index puts. Until the very last time, when I was getting ready to open a position, and asked myself why I was risking $17,000 to make $195 (minus about $10 of commissions).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us