The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotyou-move-to-amish-country-in-oh-or-30178289.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mormon church exodus Date:  7/31/2012  11:51 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  44349 of 63271

"You move to Amish country in OH or PA.....and you'll find the same thing in many towns. If you don't belong 'to the church' you have little access to social activities. Everything is 'with the church'. There are entire counties in PA and OH.....and you'll definitely feel out of place and out of touch." - tele
-----------------------------

That's the way it is here. If your not Church of Christ or Southern Baptist you'd be pretty damn lonely if didn't have family here and/or you were working. These people are very clannish and family oriented and if you moved here to retire you'd have a difficult time fitting in. You'd have to join some clubs or something I suppose? I don't know.

I married into the Church of Christ and it is a large part of my socializing here besides my wife's family. I go to church every Sunday morning and I used to go on Sunday night and wednesday night too although I don't anymore. The church is like a family. It's not like the Lutheran church where I grew up where we'd just go and then leave and that was the end of it. It's hard to explain but it becomes a big part of your social life and your identity.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us