The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Amended Tax Return Date:  7/31/2012  11:55 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116480 of 127753

What specifically is required in order to file an amended return?

In all cases Form 1040X.

Never include a new 1040. Anything that changes there is reflected on the 1040X.

If any Schedule or attachment changes, a copy of the new one.

If you use software make sure to check the software instructions before you start. You'll wind up with an amended 1040, so make sure it's properly labeled so you don't confuse it with the original filing.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us