Previous Page

Automotive / RVing Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-summer-vacation-30192166.aspx

Subject:  My summer vacation Date:  8/7/2012  11:08 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  2278 of 2373

with a few modifications, we followed the itinerary laid out here:
http://boards.fool.com/summer-2012-trip-plan-30085255.aspx

Highlights...
+ seeing friends, most of whom took us to see the sights in their towns, better than we would've done on our own and more fun, too
+ my pastels class at The Clearing
+ keeping cool in Door County WI and Northern Michigan during the Great Heat Wave--we are huge fans of the Great Lakes!
+ camping at INterlochen State Park in Michigan and walking across the street for outstanding concerts at Interlochen Arts Center (I had been a camper there the summer of '65 and they really roll out the red carpet for Alums! It was wonderful-)
+ driving through the beautiful Southern Appalachians in GA and TN outbound, and KY and NC homeward bound
+ Mackinac Island
+ delicious pork products at Benton Country Hams in Madisonville TN, and very fresh produce at farmer's markets everywhere, especially loved the little one in Stevens Point WI, just one farmer

As usual, I'm having trouble readjusting to life at home after the freedom of the road, so of course I started planning The Great RV Trip of 2013!

Start ~5/22
...If we're getting RV work done in Southern Colorado...
~10d on the road (GA, TN, AR, OK, TX, NM)
~4d in Southern CO
~1w on the road (CO, WY, MT)
...Elseā€¦
~1w on the road (SC, NC, TN, KY, IN, IL)
~1w in WI
~1w on the road (MN, ND, MT)
6/12...1w Glacier NP
6/19...5d Banff
6/24...5d Jasper
6/29...4d Kamloops/Kelowna
7/3....1w Vancouver/Victoria
7/10...9d Seattle/Puget Sound
7/19...5d Olympic Peninsula
7/24...3d Mt Rainier
7/27...1w Portland/Columbia Gorge
8/3....4d Eugene
8/7....1w Redwood NP/Northern CA coast
8/14...1w <?>
8/21...1w Bay Area
8/28...3d Monterey Bay
8/31...1w SLO area
9/7....1w Santa Barbara area
9/14...5d LA area
9/19...3d Montclair (Lazy Daze factory)
...2d on the road
9/24...1w Phoenix/Tucson area...Kitt Peak Observatory?
...2d on the road
10/3...10d Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta...National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
10/13...3w NM...Bradbury Science Museum, Los Alamos
...10d on the road, getting home in time to put together a nice Thanksgiving dinner for company

QUESTIONS:
Should I make reservations soonish at Glacier and the Canadian National Parks?

Any suggestions on things to do and places to camp along the route are most welcome, as well as suggestions to stay longer--or shorter! -- anywhere. I haven't yet gone to the next level of detail very much, planning some specific things to do at each camping location and between camps.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us