The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / RVing Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-try-to-keep-camping-fees-down-by-using-more-30195149.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Average daily camping fee Date:  8/9/2012  12:23 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  2285 of 2373

I try to keep camping fees down by using more public than private campgrounds. I try to remember to ask for AAA and Good Sam discounts when booking private CGs. I should investigate additional camping clubs to see if they might be worthwhile. Do any of you recommend particular clubs? When there's a discount for camping at a pvt CG for a whole week, I try to do that (usually they charge for 6 nights and give the 7th free, or for 7 and give an 8th free).

Now that we have America the Beautiful Senior passes (for over age 62, $10 one time fee--a fabulous deal), we can camp at most federal facilities for half price (except the concessionaire CGs), so will try to do more of that, including National Forests/Lakeshores/Seashores, Corps of Engineers (COE) and Bureau of land Management (BLM) sites as well as National Parks. In some NF and BLM areas, you can camp for free anywhere you find a safe spot (pulled off the road). I have only done that a couple of times. (I did that once when tent camping in Wyoming, and woke up surrounded by cattle!)

State Parks used to be a great deal, nice sites for $12-15/night when we got the RV back in 2007. Now it's more like $18-30. Plus some states make you buy a state camping pass on top of that, sometimes one pass per vehicle (Minnesota and Michigan come to mind--at least in MI you can buy a daily pass, but in MN we had to buy an annual pass to camp for 2 nights!)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us