The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Foolish Collective

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hey-paul-quotdrought-tolerant-cornquot-30225130.aspx

Subject:  Re: Drought tolerant corn Date:  8/25/2012  7:29 PM
Author:  haywool Number:  46584 of 46837

Hey Paul !

"Drought tolerant corn"?

That's cool ! But, I'm gonna have a problem with that one.

You may (or may not) know that I'm a farmer in central Illinois. The crops won't be the greatest this year. I didn't see the NBR segment, but as a general rule (duh) plants need water. In order to promote kernel growth, it's gotta have water. Granted, during a drought, the plant will shut down seed production and just try to survive and produce only what's possible for the next generation (seed). Some varieties already are better producers during a water shortage than others. Maybe that can be improved upon, but we're not gonna have any "bin buster" yields without rains at critical times.

The research will be there and if there is a variety that is labeled as "drought tolerant", I'm not sure that I, as a farmer" would be willing to pay the seed price for that kind of insurance. An 80,000 kernel bag of seed corn is already almost $300. I think I can buy "all weather" crop insurance for a lot less than what that seed will cost.

Interesting article, thanx,
Rich (haywool)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us