The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Options - You Make the Call

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-manually-update-all-of-my-option-positions-in-30226403.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Tool that handle options? Date:  8/26/2012  6:57 PM
Author:  RShewmake Number:  10927 of 11006

I manually update all of my option positions in Quicken and only let it update my stock position automatically.

It will update option positions automatically "if" you let Quicken have access/update from your trading account. I did not like the possible security problems that could possibly occur from that, nor did I like the "value" it assigned to a position.

I don't remember if automatically letting Quicken update the position gave me a last price (which could be several days old) or an average of the bid/ask position (not as bad, but not accurate in my opinion).

Manually, if I am long a position, I enter the bid price (and the high, low and volume for the day); and if I am short, I enter the asking price (and the high, low and volume). In my opinion, these are the TRUE prices for my options, as they represent the current price that I can exit the positions I am holding.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us