The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Living, Coping, Improving / Fools Against Depression

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-1994-i-got-a-dui-the-navy-decided-this-meant-30227950.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: 12 Steps Program anyone? Date:  8/27/2012  2:48 PM
Author:  ishtarastarte Number:  14878 of 15005

In 1994, I got a DUI. The Navy decided this meant I was an alcoholic (instead of realizing that I was going through a divorce and had mental health problems, so the drinking was self-medication).

Part of what I had to do included going to a certain number of AA meetings (as well as what they called Level 2 - outpatient - rehab).

What I found was a bunch of people replacing their alcohol addiction with food, caffeine and/or cigarettes. Like any other group, some people had really good insight into their problems and many more others were just going through the motions.

I know for many people, it becomes a supportive environment, but for me. . . I don't do well with groups to begin with. There's no way I was really going to open up in the environments I observed. And yes, I tried different groups throughout the area I was in.

Ishtar
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us