The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / The BMW Method

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-asked-similar-questions-in-the-past-as-30234652.aspx

Subject:  Re: Which BMW chart? Date:  8/30/2012  4:37 PM
Author:  cyclelex Number:  40687 of 41634

I have asked similar questions in the past as Maniladad, and have not been quite satisfied with the answers. I think their might not be a clear answer, or they are different for every company.

My question has always been:

We like long histories of CAGR. 30+ if available, 14 as a minimum. Is there a way to account for changing from a high growth model to a slower growth more mature company? Take the first ten years and cut that off the chart?

I bought MSFT back in 2000 at the worst possible time. It had a great avg and current cagr. All of sudden high growth was over and it was flatter prospects. They continue to make great profit, but from a shareholder perspective it's been dead money for 12 years. From Jan 2000 to today it is approx. 1.8% CAGR (That's Yahoo with Divs. included).

If we were to evaluate MSFT today, when would we start the left edge of the chart?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us