The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/foreign-income-exclusion-30240556.aspx

Subject:  Foreign Income Exclusion Date:  9/3/2012  11:37 AM
Author:  khrushchv Number:  116568 of 121061

I have some questions for this board about qualifying for the Foreign Income Exclusion.

I'm about to move abroad for a period of at least 24 months (to Zurich, in case that's important). I believe I will qualify for the Foreign Income Exclusion using the bona-fide residency test but I wanted to ping this board regarding their experiences about qualifying for the FIE under the BFR. Is there anything I can do domestically that will help my chances, so to speak?

Notes: I do not have a domicile in the U.S. and all my (domestic) mail will be sent to my fiance's apartment in MA. I will NOT have a job in the U.S. but I will have accounts that will earn passive income (interest, dividends, capital gains, and very small amounts of income from units in MLPs). I have an apartment in Zurich that I will pay for myself and my plan is to change my U.S. driver's license into a Swiss one within the first 6 months I am there.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us