The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Budgeting

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-do-all-my-bill-paying-online-but-have-not-30241323.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mint/Other budgeting/personal finances servi Date:  9/3/2012  9:07 PM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  19175 of 19516

I do all my bill-paying online, but have not signed up for Mint.

If I could go to my bank's website and click on something that says, effectively, "I, YG, give Mint permission to access all my account info on a read-only basis," then I might try it. Such permission would, of course, be reversible.

But the way it works is that I'd have to give Mint my passwords, answers to my security questions, etc. Then Mint goes to my bank and says, "I am YG," which besides being dishonest on its face, also effectively gives Mint, or anyone who hacks Mint's client database, the ability to do to my accounts anything I could do, including withdrawals and transfers.

My financial advisor says that in general 20-somethings are comfortable with Mint; her older clients are scared to death of it. She doesn't advise for or against.

Personally, I use spreadsheets. For budgeting, I'm comfortable with YNAB, but due to convenience ended up doing budgeting with spreadsheets also.

YG
(50-something)
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us