The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-an-unintended-acceleration-situation-i-agree-30241820.aspx

Subject:  Re: UAI - Kia Sorrento Date:  9/4/2012  8:30 AM
Author:  xtn Number:  11387 of 11704

In an unintended acceleration situation, I agree with your assessment - you've got one big brake press. Use it wisely.

Exactly. Now I'm not going to further knock anybody who gets it wrong, but will say that I don't understand it. It just seems like common sense to me. If my car starts zooming away at full throttle, you can bet your hind end that I'm pushing the brake pedal down for all I'm worth and holding it there.

Maybe it only seems like common sense to me because of my knowledge of how the system works? Maybe. If the brakes do work on the first press, why would one think they have failed and begin pumping the pedal?

Peter, I'm curious.... In your testing, was the first (boosted) attempt at braking your car effective at slowing it despite the full throttle? What about successive (unboosted) attempts? What make/model is your car?

xtn
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us