The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-2000-when-my-lawyer-wrote-my-revocable-living-30243107.aspx

Subject:  Re: New EIN for Revocable Living Trust? Date:  9/4/2012  5:35 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116572 of 121585

In 2000, when my lawyer wrote my Revocable Living Trust, he told me that it should have the same TIN as my Social Security number as long as I am alive. I have been doing that ever since. Every year at tax time, I send a 1041 form of the trust attached to the joint 1040 that my husband and I file jointly.

I have to ask, whatever possessed you to prepare a 1041? I have this feeling that 12 years ago, when your lawyer told you to use your SSN, you assumed he meant on a 1041, and he assumed that you understood he meant as the TIN on your accounts. Like they say about assumptions, ....

You never should have prepared, let alone filed, a 1041. This type of trust is ignored for tax purposes. I suspect things went along smoothly all these years because IRS just ignored the 1041 or never looked at it in the first place. Somehow your latest one took on a life of its own, and that requires an EIN. Voila!

Stop preparing 1041's. Ignore the EIN. If the IRS inquires after a 1041 for the trust write back to them telling them it's a passthrough entity and all income is reported under your SSN.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us