The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: New EIN for Revocable Living Trust? Date:  9/4/2012  5:35 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116572 of 123001

In 2000, when my lawyer wrote my Revocable Living Trust, he told me that it should have the same TIN as my Social Security number as long as I am alive. I have been doing that ever since. Every year at tax time, I send a 1041 form of the trust attached to the joint 1040 that my husband and I file jointly.

I have to ask, whatever possessed you to prepare a 1041? I have this feeling that 12 years ago, when your lawyer told you to use your SSN, you assumed he