The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Canadian Investing / Canada (General)


Subject:  Re: Moving to canada Date:  9/5/2012  9:31 PM
Author:  tim443 Number:  63018 of 64613


You are right, there is no good answer.

If it was me I would need to know what x amount of US$ was. I would be tempted to put it in an investment account that allows you to segregate by currency as Questrade or IB does. This would allow me to invest on both sides of the border without having to pay substantial exchange on currency. It would also allow me to withdraw in whichever currency I needed. You could for instance put your US$ on the US side with perhaps a small bit on the C$ side then make deposits on the C$ side slowly until they match up?

I personally do not expect a massive (10%+) change in the C$ vs. US$ but it could happen if the US doesn't fix the "fiscal cliff" problem that they created? Even if it does happen having half your money in C$ would spare some of the pain?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us