The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hello-juststartinout-i-am-rolling-over-about-that-30251270.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investing ideas for rollover 401k into ira Date:  9/8/2012  2:41 PM
Author:  wellwisher108 Number:  70897 of 74759

Hello Juststartinout,

I am rolling over about that much too from my 401k. The index funds are doing better than many of the other mutual funds and are supposed to be a good option. Vanguard funds are a cheap and good option. I know from experience that many 'highly rated' mutual funds can do worse than the market.

What IRA company did you decide to go with? Can you tell me why? I am having trouble deciding what to do as far as that.

A financial advisor told me to put my whole 401k into this simple and moderate combination (for a 40year old) recently:
LSBRX 33% (bond)
WWNPX 33% (stock fund)
FMIEX 33% (stock fund)

I am still trying to decide what company I want to roll over my 401k to. I like Charles Schwab because it has many options, a great user interface, lots of information. But they do charge .5% per year in their managed mutual fund plans.

I really wanted to have the Mutual Fund Store manage my money because they get paid based on how much you get paid. But I don't have the minimum $50,000 that is needed for that.

I wish I could find someone to manage my money who doesn't get a flat fee. If my money had been managed well in the past, I know I would have 50,000 saved by now. Since I don't have a lot, I haven't found good options it seems.

Anyone who knows more, please let me know what you think. Thanks!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us