The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-michael-rm-you-have-a-nice-tv-but-youre-not-30252287.aspx

Subject:  Re: RM Needs a Center Speaker Date:  9/9/2012  11:16 AM
Author:  RocketsMomma Number:  9595 of 10537

HI Michael,

RM, you have a nice TV but you’re not getting the sets potential. The feed into it doesn’t match its native resolution of 1080p. You’re not getting the resolution the set’s capable of.

But we are taking the signal directly from the HD DirecTV box straight into the TV via HDMI, so wouldn't this mean we are getting the 1080p video signal?

I tried to figure out what cables were going where but when I can't move the TV to look I can only check the boxes. It looks like we've hooked the AV amp to the DVD box which then hooks to the TV via 3 component cables.

We are NOT using the digital audio from the HD DirecTV box, but it looks like RCA audio AND video out to the VCR which then feeds those signals to the AV.

About the only thing the AV has coming out of it and into it are the speaker wires and 2 sets of RCA cables, one to the DVD and the other to the VCR.

So I'm guessing a new amp would probably help with the sound. Is this right? How much better would sound be using the satellite Video Audio out directly to a new amp? I assume there is some sort of signal loss jumping the sound from box to box before it hits the amp?

You know, being as DH is an electrical engineer, you'd think he'd be more interested and knowledgeable about this stuff. But he would probably blame his lack of interest on his tinnitus, he brings that up every so often as an excuse for "sound" stuff.

RM

PS - none of these less expensive receivers have up conversion, is that a problem? UC seems to add another $100 to the cost.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us