The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Ask The Headhunter

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/interesting-phone-screen-situation-30259387.aspx

Subject:  Interesting phone screen situation Date:  9/12/2012  10:56 PM
Author:  LonghornBoy Number:  48955 of 49437

I'm looking at a management position with a local company. They've been around for a long time and are relatively small, but are really stable and have strong financials. As a result, people tend to stick around for a long time.

I received a quick follow-up and phone screen in response to my resume; and seemed to do well with the first phone screen.

I'm due to have a second phone screen tomorrow; and it's with a manager who would report to me if I were to take the position.

Here's the issue: The screen was originally scheduled for today, but I never received a call from her. I followed up with the recruiter, who indicated that the interviewer called twice and left a voice mail message.

I double-checked the phone number I gave them and also checked the call logs for my cell phone. If she called, then she dialed the wrong number, as I received other calls today without issue.

In thinking through this interaction, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps this person has a bias against me or any of the other candidates she has to interview, as this position would be a promotion for her...that is, if they were to promote from within.

Any thoughts on how I should handle the call tomorrow? On one hand, I could ignore what happened today and suggest that it's a non-issue from my perspective if she brings it up. I could also do a bit of probing to better understand her motivations, which might be useful anyway if I were to end up at the company.

What do y'all think?

-LB
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us