The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Ask The Headhunter

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/any-thoughts-on-how-i-should-handle-the-call-30259490.aspx

Subject:  Re: Interesting phone screen situation Date:  9/13/2012  12:14 AM
Author:  Rael137 Number:  48956 of 49430

Any thoughts on how I should handle the call tomorrow?On one hand, I could ignore what happened today and suggest that it's a non-issue from my perspective if she brings it up.

That's probably the best option. I don't think you gain anything by pushing it. Either it will appear you are rubbing her nose in a mistake or (if it was careless/intentional) generating something that could be spun negatively in the interview feedback.

I could also do a bit of probing to better understand her motivations, which might be useful anyway if I were to end up at the company.

Sussing out someone's motivation is a chancy prospect. One thing you could do is try to see what sort of culture of blame they have. Like if this is a place where a small mistake gets stomped on, then you could make a point that you don't work that way (unless you do - then you may fit in).

If you get thru the phone screen then you will have an opportunity to meet more people and perhaps interview with this manager face-to-face. Keep in mind that whether she is an internal candidate or not, the company trusts her to represent them in screening for this position.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us