The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Taking Care of Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-sentiments-exactly-lww-your-mom-sounds-like-30260882.aspx

Subject:  Re: Revisionist History Date:  9/13/2012  3:00 PM
Author:  Bobcatkitty Number:  5590 of 6544

My sentiments exactly LWW. Your Mom sounds like mine. However, she only spent money on items that fell into these 2 categories: #1: She needed it and #2: She wanted it.

We are however fortunate that Nebraska has something called Medicaid Waiver. This allows her to live in a wonderful assited living apartment. She is able to keep her regular MediCARE and supplement, but the state takes the balance of her SS check. So in her case, the $3000/mo charge means she pays $1000/mo and the state pay $2000. She is allowed to keep $60/per month for misc. expenses

I am paying for the phone in her apartment and my brother is paying for her hair salon appts. She thinks the phone is just part of her rent, and that the hair salon is being paid from "her money".

She's now 92, and here we are still treating her in the manner that her Princess-hood requires. But at least she's not living with me or my brother.

...makes me a bad person? so be it!!!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us