The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/good-morning-zoningfool-i-cant-remember-where-on-30262070.aspx

Subject:  Re: Delicious Cuban black beans recipe Date:  9/14/2012  8:19 AM
Author:  lcd186 Number:  5434 of 5641

Good morning zoningfool,

I can't remember where on these boards I had read your link, but I recall that it was a repost due to TMF rules as you mentioned. For whatever reason, certain details in the current linked articles don't seem familiar, particularly the term "phytohaemagglutinin," though it could be my memory.

The bottom line for using dry beans as far as I could tell from everything I read is this: soak overnight, discard the soaking water, rinse in clean water, then boil vigorously at least 10 minutes before simmering or using a slow-cooker--and to be especially careful with red kidney beans (the worst offenders).

I have always used the above techniques for stovetop beans (FWIW I believe I only tried to make pre-soaked bean dish in a slow cooker once and never repeated it because the results were disappointing). I believe I've made red kidney beans perhaps just a couple of times, but I usually prefer other beans and legumes. I also make lentils often and I know they need neither pre-soaking, nor long cooking times.

Thank you,
Lois Carmen D.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us