The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Teachers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-that-he-has-been-misguided-and-uninformed-30263846.aspx

Subject:  Re: Strike....Finally! Date:  9/14/2012  11:14 PM
Author:  PuddinHead42 Number:  9740 of 9935

I agree that he has been misguided and uninformed (ignorant is the correct word

I admit to this to an extent,see a follow on post to Ishtar.

I don't agree with you at all here. Yes, teachers are members of the unions. And they elect the officers. But unions are far more than the teachers and it is this extra portion that seems to cause so many issues. (That and so many ignorant teachers that don't really know what they have and/or would get in any other career given their overall set of skills.) I often despise the actions of teachers unions; does that mean I despise the teachers?

Thanks, I know I am not totally dumb and evil and wrong.

Ishtar: if you don't like what the gov't is doing, you have to get involved to change it. Aren't unions the same thing? If you're a member and you don't like what they're doing, campaign for them to do something else?

Ok, so we can both be naive. The union is a big powerful organization that is also VERY interested in preserving its power. How often do you think members get to vote on a new union president? Do they have primaries and "opposing parties"? Some union bosses make more than the US President. When Wisconsin said union members could not be forced to pay dues, almost 50% stopped paying. Is that some kind of vote? Union members don't even get a say in how there dues are used to support one political party or another. What is the incentive to change an organization that gets you a guaranteed raise larger than the general public, a pension and tenure? Unions are powerful enough to control elections. In DC they spent $2 million to oust the mayor when he allowed the bottom 2% of teachers be fired. They won. What member wants to change that?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us