The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/question-on-business-mileage-30266968.aspx

Subject:  question on business mileage Date:  9/17/2012  12:44 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  116588 of 121341

A friend of mine owns a consignment shop where she gets a lot of her merchandise to sell at various yard sales. In prior years, she has taken deductions for car expenses for the travel to the various yard sales to pick up the merchandise that she sells in her shop. This year, she is having her taxes done by someone different, and that person is saying that she cannot deduct that mileage because it is treated like commuter miles that are not deductible.

That doesn't sound right to me because the yard sales are not her regular place of business, and she is effectively picking up her inventory, so I would have thought that her car expenses would be deductible, assuming she has all the proper records and such.

She's confused about what to do here, and I thought I would post the question to the board to see if anyone can provide some insight and possibly a reference on the proper way to handle this. Anyone got any ideas on this one?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us