The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlti-first-started-with-an-old-heathkit-at-1-30267862.aspx

Subject:  Re: Should I Really Join Facebook? Date:  9/17/2012  8:06 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  17846 of 19483

<<I first started with an old Heathkit AT-1 transmitter kit in the 50's, an old surplus ARC-5 3-6 MHz receiver, and a "coupler" made by winding enamel covered wire on a cardboard tube from a roll of toilet paper, with clip leads and an old variable cap from a broadcast receiver. Pretty crude, but I had fun! In those days, too, of course, there were no VFO's so each transmitter crystal gave you ONE frequency to send on! I had three 80-meter Novice band crystals -- a big deal!>>

I built my first transmitter mostly from parts from a TV chassis I bought from a thrift store. I was on 40 meters and I had two or three crytals as I recall. That was about 1970.

My ideal at the time was the Viking Ranger transmitter. Still is, really! I thought that was about everything you could want in a low power HF transmitter.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us