The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-friend-of-mine-owns-a-consignment-shop-where-30268055.aspx

Subject:  Re: question on business mileage Date:  9/17/2012  10:06 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  116594 of 121095

A friend of mine owns a consignment shop where she gets a lot of her merchandise to sell at various yard sales. In prior years, she has taken deductions for car expenses for the travel to the various yard sales to pick up the merchandise that she sells in her shop. This year, she is having her taxes done by someone different, and that person is saying that she cannot deduct that mileage because it is treated like commuter miles that are not deductible.

I disagree with the previous responses. If she runs a consignment shop, that is her regular place of business. Of course, she could have other regular places of business if she has other business ventures. Trips from her shop to other locations to purchase inventory should be fully deductible. The only commuting expense would be between home and the consignment shop.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us