The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/black-bean-salad-you-can-spend-all-day-cooking-30268638.aspx

Subject:  Re: Beach picnic-type foods? Date:  9/18/2012  9:18 AM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  54549 of 55992

Black bean salad. You can spend all day cooking or you can open a can of black beans and a can of niblets corn, both drained, chop a bunch of scallions, halve some grape tomatoes, chop a colorful pepper, chop some cilantro, and dress it with fresh lime juice and olive oil.

My exact thoughts--made that for the Labor Day weekend (except I used fresh corn nuked ~1 minute per ear used so it was crisp and sweet) and diced fresh tomatoes instead of grape tomatoes. BTW Progresso Black Beans come in a 19 oz can whereas others come in a 15 oz can, so you might want to pick up a few cans of the Progresso since you get more ozs. Make sure to use the lime (iow no substitutes). It adds a key flavor dimension (I also used olive oil but I think I could've skipped it entirely tbh--added virtually nothing tastewise imo).

The black bean salad was really good and went fast so I made more on Labor Day itself but added rice--I think I preferred it without the rice though--just adding the rice idea as an extender if you needed more volume.

Another idea I had was broccoli salad:

--coarsely chopped broccoli (someone here I believe recommended cooking it slightly first--I tried that, but it didn't matter too much tastewise).

-- a few packages of shredded cheddar

--bacon bits or baco's (I make mine with baco's instead of bacon bits since I don't eat meat)

--shredded carrots (optional)

--Toss with dressing of mayo + a little sugar & yellow mustard.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us