The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sp-well-my-now-aging-icom-ic-746-one-of-the-30268990.aspx

Subject:  Re: Should I Really Join Facebook? Date:  9/18/2012  11:37 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  17850 of 19365

SP:

Well, my now aging Icom IC-746 (one of the cheaper ones in their line) has all the features I need. Full break-in on c.w.; three instantly resettable frequencies on each band (160 through 2 meters), handy for when you might want to set the tcvr on a pileup but want to go away briefly and come back; nice, sharp optional filters; auto-tuner built-in (once set on a band, you change bands and just send in seconds); AM/FM/SSB/FSK/c.w.; and more if you need it. And many other features.

This is my second unit, by the way. The first one was literally "smoked" by a lightning hit on the antenna years ago, despite being disconnected! The hit VAPORIZED the copper wires in my 450-ohm ladder line, too. I brought some pieces of the "window line" stuff to a club meeting to show how the copper wires were totally gone!

I also have a programmable electronic keyer that I love, as a c.w. op. Runs almost indefinitely on 4 AA batteries. It has three banks of 6 messages each. You program each message by setting it and sending into it. For contests, you can even set it to automatically upnumber the serial number each time, too.

Enough?

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us