The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 1099 for expense reimbursement Date:  9/18/2012  10:13 PM
Author:  snippee Number:  116622 of 127616

I seriously doubt that your husband had exactly $1,000 in expenses which he meticulously documented to the payor. Rather, it sounds like they figured his cost to be roughly $1,000 including a little something for his time and trouble and cut him a check in that amount. Such an arrangement with a nonemployee is correctly reported as nonemployee compensation on Form 1099-MISC. Your husband reports it on Schedule C along with the expenses he can document. The net is subject to Self-Employment Tax.

Thanks, Phil.

I don't have the 1099 in front of me and was the one who guesstimated its total for the purposes of asking the question here. He did fax them his receipts; they sent him a check for the exact amount. Does that information change anything in what you wrote above?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us